The key is following the instructions below if you want to get something up quick with Alexa and the Creator. Do not follow the Matrix CLI/OS instructions then try to follow the Alexa AVS Sample below unless you really know what you are doing here. The CLI/OS instruction videos are great, but putting you in a more advance position that can be frustrating.
Follow this process:
- Buy a Raspberry Pi 3, 8 gig SD card and a Matrix Creator. I got the RPI3 and Creator at Newark.
- Download (recommend torrenting) a copy of Raspbarian Jessie. Skip NOOBS.
- If using a Mac, follow these instructions, or download the SD Memory Card formatter, Etcher then flash the downloaded Raspbarian Jessie .img to the SD card.
- Insert the mini-SD card in the RPI3. Now plug in your USB mouse, keyboard and HDMI monitor.
- Plug in the power cord to the RPI3.
- Set up SSH on the RPI3.
- Now for the most important part: follow these instructions in one session. It will take an hour, so make time: https://github.com/alexa/alexa-avs-sample-app/wiki/Raspberry-Pi#step-1-setting-up-your-pi
You should be good to go. There are much cheaper and easier ways to make a RPI3 use AVS, but if you want to build something that has voice and sensor features like I want to build, this seems like a good way to start.
Next, trying to figure out how to add other apps and build features for the Matrix Creator.